Friday, April 29, 2011

Do you have your Censo!?

Tuesday morning Ashawnte and I forced ourselves out of bed to go out in service. The bed was so warm and comfortable that it was just one of those mornings where we really didn't want to get up, but we did anyways. We met the group and it ended up being one of those days where no brothers came out to take the lead so the sisters started looking for a hat, then they looked at Ashawnte (who was the only one in the room with a hat on) and asked her if she would pray for the group. Her eyes got as wide as a deer in the headlights. She said she didn't feel comfortable doing it yet because her Spanish isn't good enough to lead a group in prayer. So she passed the hat onto someone else.

She ended up working with this sister named Alba and proceeded to tell her that we have been without gas for our hot water for almost three weeks because the gas truck hasn't passed. So Alba said she had an extra tank and for $2 she would give it to us after service. We went home to change and prepare to head to Ibarra for some food. Then Allan knocks on the door and said Anderson - a brother about 17 years old in our hall - would go with us to show us where Alba lived. So we grabbed the empty tank and the cart for it and went to get a taxi. But the cart was too big to fit in the trunk so it stuck out a bit. Then comes the fun part!! There was a random police check in Tulcan that day and our cab was pulled over and we were asked to get out. The police officer asked us for our I.D. so I pulled out my Censo - my Ecuadorian I.D. Then I looked at Ashawnte who said in a panicked voice - "I don't have my Censo!!" Oh My Goodness!!!!!! Of all days to forget your identification! So needless to say the policeman was not so happy and Anderson was trying to explain to him that her Censo was at home along with her passport. We were standing there for about 5 minutes before they finally just let us go. I was so happy they didn't decide to arrest Ashawnte! And so was she. LOL But now it's a running joke, we always ask Ashawnte before we leave the house if she has her Censo.

At least we got the gas and we are back on for hot water now. Woooo!!!

Well, more later when I have some more funny stuff to tell. Love you all and miss you tons!
Chao!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love reading your blog. It helps to keep me from missing you so much. Golfing helps too. Stay safe and don't forget your Censo. Love you tons.
-Dad

Anonymous said...

megs and ashawnte,

seriously i wanna be you two when i grow up! i am thoroughly enjoying your blogs. through you two we see how we can use our youth to the praise of jehovah. (Ecc 12:1). Just remember w hen you come back you're gonna cook for me!!! Zaijian! Proud and jealous of you!!! Allyson Sofeso

Megan said...

Thanks so much Allyson! You say when I come home, but technically, you have to come ¨home¨ first! Haha! We love it here and wouldn´t change this experience for the world! I have a new post I need to update, but my computer died so I´m on my friend´s computer right now, and I need to find a way to upload my pictures on this computer. I hope to talk to you soon. How´s Tony doing?? Miss you both and love ya tons!